- Maintaining valid F-1 status
- Apply in time to have procedure completed before I-20 expires (at least 2 weeks ahead of I-20 expiration).
- Delay due to academic reasons – must provide documentation. Poor performance is not acceptable.
- Delay due to medical reasons – must provide documentation.
- I-20 has expired, or will expire before procedure can be completed
- Otherwise out of status
- Delays due to poor academic progress
- Delay due to suspension
- Delay due to academic probation
Any student who does not meet the eligibility requirements must either file for reinstatement, or travel outside the U.S. and reenter with a new I-20 marked initial attendance to begin a new F-1 status. Please consult an international advisor.
Procedure for Extension of I-20
Submit the following to International Student and Scholar Services:
- Request for New or Revised I-20 completed by student
- Academic Advisor Certification for I-20 Extension, signed by academic advisor/department chair
- Documentation of funding- please see the current I-20 financial requirements page, broken down by residency type, and the requirements for acceptable financial documentation here.
NOTE: SEVIS will allow a maximum one year extension.
After completion of the procedure, International Student and Scholar Services will email the student to request the student to come to room 110 in Marquis Hall to sign the I-20. The extension will then be complete.