Financial Requirements for International Students

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires non-immigrant international students (i.e. F or J visas) to verify that available funds to pay for their education, housing and other living expenses.

Newly admitted students planning to attend UNT on an F or J visa must submit proof of financial support through the iNorthTX portal. We cannot issue an I-20 or DS-2019 until all required documentation is submitted, including financials. If you are submitting proof of financial support with a bank statement and you are NOT the account holder, please comlpete this form.

Continuing students applying for a new I-20 must have documentation on file that meets the requirements. If documents are not on file, students must submit support documentation with the request for a new or revised I-20.

For I-20 issuance purposes, the estimated minimum student expenses for 2018-2019 are listed below. These estimates cover a 9-month academic year (fall and spring semesters only) at non-resident tuition rates. The amounts listed are estimates only. The amounts do not include lab and other fees associated with particular courses. 

For more information about tuition and fees, visit Student Accounting and University Cashiering Services.  
Tuition and fees may change without notice.

UNT Undergraduate UNT Graduate
Tuition/Fees $20,877 Tuition/fees $14,870
Living expenses $12,511 Living expenses $12,511
Other (books, insurance) $2,896 Other (books, insurance) $2,896
TOTAL $36,284 TOTAL $30,277
Add these extra amounts.
$12,729 $10,681
BRINGING A DEPENDENT (SPOUSE OR CHILD)? Add these amounts for EACH dependent you bring. 9-month academic year: $3,919/each
12-month academic year: $5,225/each


International Student Fee
Students attending UNT on a non-immigrant visa or students with a pending application for permanent residency are charged an International Student Fee each semester they are enrolled as part of UNT tuition and other fees.

International Student Health Insurance
UNT requires all non-immigrant visa students to have health insurance coverage. If your sponsor provides health insurance, please read the information regarding waivers to find out if your insurance will qualify. For more detailed information and resources, please read Health Insurance for International Students.

Proof of funding may come from a variety of sources. Source documentation must total Required Fund amounts. Immigration documents cannot be issued until we have received this documentation. If it is convenient for your bank to complete the required section, you may submit this form in lieu of the items listed below.

ISSS reserves the right to reject any financial documentation submitted for the purposes of issuing an I-20.

Document Requirements:

  • Documents must be in English, or we must have the original language version plus a certified English translation stamped by the financial institution.
  • Documents must bear a signature, official seal, or be on letterhead from an official agency.
  • Documents must state available account type and account balance- they MUST be currently accessible liquid funds.
  • Documents must be uploaded to your iNorthTX portal.
  • Documents must be DATED and be less than twelve (12) months old when the I-20 is issued.
  • Statement must include the account holder’s name, date, account type, account balance and currency type.
  • If the statement is a web printout, it must include the web link/URL.


Funding Sources & Financial Documents

Bank Statement

Bank statements from:

  • checking or savings accounts;
  • term/fixed/time deposits (statement must specify a maturity date in the past);
  • certificate of deposit (CD), mutual, stock, or bond funds (stating amount currently available for withdrawal after penalty).

NOTE: Credit cards, life insurance, retirement and/or pension funds are not acceptable.

UNT Financial Award

Official award letter (may be a copy) on departmental letterhead from the awarding department, detailing:

  • student’s name,
  • date of issue,
  • what costs will be covered and/or the amount of funding awarded,
  • what term(s) the award(s) will cover (fall, spring, and/or summer), and
  • if the student is awarded in-state or out-of-state tuition.


  • If an official award letter does not contain the information listed above, please use our template​.
  • Depending on your award, you may be eligible for a smaller required fund amount

Funding by a Government, University, or Other Official Agency

Official Letter of Sponsorship (i.e. Financial Guarantee) made out to the University of North Texas detailing:

  • date of issue,
  • date(s)/terms funding is provided,
  • if dependent(s) will be covered,
  • what major the student is permitted to study towards, and
  • what costs will be covered and/or the amount of funding awarded. 

For funding from a company, please see our FAQs.

Income of Student or Sponsor

Submit official letter from sponsor's employer on company letterhead or most current tax statement showing annual earnings of at least three (3) times the required funds amount listed above.


If a U.S. resident is providing room and meals during your studies:
The U.S. provider will need to fill out this form and provide the supplemental documentation as listed. You must upload these documents as a single PDF to your iNorthTX portal. If submitting a lease, the lease must be valid for at least one semester after the program start date. An expiring lease will not be accepted. This documentation will cover the costs of the “Living expenses” in the estimated costs of attendance, so this cost may be subtracted from the total amount which must be shown.

Please see our Financial Requirements Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page for further details.

How do I apply for scholarships & financial aid?
UNT-International Financial Aid Opportunities
How to Apply to UNT