Obtaining a VISA

How do I get an F-1 or J-1 visa?
Apply at a U.S. consulate. Check the website for the consulate nearest you to learn their procedures and required application documentation.

What do I take with me when I apply for a visa?

  • Endorsed I-20 or DS-2019, or Initial Attendance I-20 or DS-2019
  • Valid passport
  • Financial documentation provided for I-20 issuance, or financial documentation provided for DS-2019 issuance
  • Transcripts if you are a student
  • Consult your consulate's web page for additional items

Can I apply for a visa in Canada or Mexico?
This is possible in very limited situations. Please talk to an international advisor prior to applying in Canada or Mexico.

I will be coming to the U.S. to start school.  It is taking a long time to get an F-1 visa. Can I just come on my B-2 visitor's visa?
We strongly recommend that you come to the U.S. on the proper (F-1) visa. If you are in the U.S. on a visitor's visa (other than visa waiver), and then decide to attend school, it may be possible to apply to USCIS for a change of status. You may not begin classes until the change of status to F-1 has been approved. There is no guarantee that it will be approved. 

Can I get a visa here in the U.S.?