How might I lose my F-1 status?
You might lose your F-1 status in several ways. For example:

  • By failing to extend your F-1 student program before your I-20 expires.
  • By failing to notify immigration of your change of degree level before the deadline. You must request this change of level at International Student and Scholar Services inside of 15 days after it occurs.
  • By failing to maintain full-time academic registration without a documented reason acceptable to immigration.
  • By failing to complete all procedures for approval of concurrent enrollment by the 12th class day. This includes proof of registration at the second school.
  • By working in violation of F-1 status, e.g. more than 20 hours per week while registered for study, by working off-campus without authorization, or working while registered for less than a full-time load without authorization. Employment violations can only be corrected by travel. See an advisor.
  • If you are a transfer student from another U.S. school, by failing to apply to International Student and Scholar Services to complete the transfer notification within 15 days of classes beginning.

What are the consequences of being out of status?
Students who are out of status are not eligible for any of the benefits of F-1 status, including permission to work or eligibility for practical training.

How can I get back into valid F-1 status?
If you have lost status as a result of any of the reasons listed above EXCEPT by working in violation of F-1 status, you may apply for reinstatement within the U.S. You must apply within 5 months of the infraction. When you are reinstated, you must be in a valid status situation. For example, be a full-time student. If you lost status as a result of working in violation of F-1 status, please consult an advisor.

When can I apply for reinstatement?
The application must be submitted within 5 months of the infraction.

  • You must be in a valid status situation (for example, full-time) when reinstated. USCIS can not reinstate you to an out of status situation.

How do I apply for reinstatement within the U.S. if I have not worked in violation of my F-1 status?

  • Reinstatement applications are complex and usually take time to fully discuss, so make an appointment to meet with an advisor if you have any questions. Please email us at with your appointment request.
  • Submit application form and all required documents to International Student and Scholar Services.
  • Sign I-20 after International Student and Scholar Services notification.
  • International Student and Scholar Services  will notify you when USCIS has responded.

How long does immigration take to adjudicate a reinstatement application?
There is no set time. We estimate 2-3 months.

Am I allowed to register at UNT while immigration considers my application?

Am I allowed to work while immigration considers my application?

Am I allowed to work again after immigration approves my reinstatement?
You will be eligible to work on campus immediately after USCIS approves your reinstatement. If you were a full-time student for 2 long semesters before you fell out of status, you will also be eligible to apply for practical training immediately after USCIS approves your reinstatement.

What if USCIS denies my application?
It is important to discuss your case with an International Advisor before applying for reinstatement to make sure you have a good case for reinstatement. If it is denied, you will need to travel outside the U.S. Most probably your visa stamp will be cancelled, and you will have to apply for your visa stamp from now on only in your home country. If you are denied, meet with an International Advisor immediately to make plans for an I-20 to use with travel and reentry.

What is the procedure for reinstatement? 

  1. Submit Materials to International Student and Scholar Services 
  2. This completed Reinstatement Request
  3. Original I-20 copy
  4. Financial documents. If using bank statements, include 3 months of statements
  5. Copy of I-94 card
  6. Transcripts
  7. Completed I-539 form
  8. $290 Check or Money Order made out to: Department of Homeland Security
  9. Written statement which includes the following (if they are true):
    • The reason you are asking for reinstatement
    • That the violation of status resulted from circumstances beyond your control, or that failure to be reinstated would result in extreme hardship to you.
    • That you are currently pursuing, or intending to pursue, a full course of study at the University of North Texas.
    • That you have not engaged in unauthorized employment.
    • That you are not deportable on any ground other than overstaying or failure to maintain status.
  10. International Student and Scholar Services Procedure
    1. We will issue an I-20 for reinstatement.
    2. We will notify you to come to room 110 Marquis Hall to sign the new I-20.
    3. We will mail the entire packet to immigration, certified mail, return receipt requested.
    4. We will notify you when immigration responds.