INTERNATIONAL TEACHING ASSISTANTS TRAINING
The Intensive English Language Institute evaluates and trains UNT’s teaching assistants (TA) and teaching fellows (TF).
- Develop confidence while teaching
- Become acculturated to the US classroom environment
- Develop skills for presenting and interacting
- Improve English speaking skills
- Evaluation: Before the beginning of each semester, trainees complete an evaluation of their English oral proficiency. The evaluation for TAs consists of a 15-minute oral interview to assess oral proficiency; the evaluation for TFs who will have full teaching responsibilities consists of an oral interview followed by a 10-minute teaching demonstration.
- Placement: The trainee will receive information on English language training or other requirements. Training and requirements vary based on evaluation results.
- Training: The TA/TF trainee participates in workshops to improve teaching skills and/or pronunciation.
- Final Evaluation: At the completion of training at the end of the semester, another evaluation is given to determine future teaching assignments.
ITA Training Program
10 week program to develop teaching skills. TAs/TFs in training lead in a UNT classroom setting.
- engage the class with lectures/activities
- provide clear instructions
- interact with students