WHO SHOULD CHOOSE THIS PROGRAM?
The Pre-Hospitality & Tourism Management Program is designed for international students who:
- have completed a Bachelor’s degree,
- are interested in pursuing an MS in Hospitality Management
- meet all the requirements to be conditionally admitted by the Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management in the specific MS degree program, and
- have advanced English proficiency in English but do not yet meet the English proficiency requirement for full admission to UNT. (English proficiency requirements - UNT requires a score of 79 on TOEFL iBT or 6.5 on IELTS for full admission).
WHO QUALIFIES FOR THIS PROGRAM?
Students qualify for this program if they meet two main requirements:
- Meet the admission requirements for UNT’s MS in Hospitality Management. When asked about English proficiency, they should include the last TOEFL or IELTs score that they have.
- Have the required level of English for admission to this program
- Complete IELI Level 5 or
- 65 on TOEFL iBT with the minimum scores for the test sections: Reading: 15, Listening 15, speaking: 18, and writing: 17, or Overall band of 6.0 on IELTS with the minimum score of 6 on each of the listening, reading, writing, and speaking sections.
- Receive a letter of conditional admission to an MS degree offered by UNT’s Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Develop oral and written English and academic skills to be ready for graduate-level academic courses at UNT
- Improve knowledge of English related to Hospitality and Tourism fields
- Become familiar with oral and written assignments commonly used in the College of Merchandising, Hospitality and Tourism
- Take one graduate course or up to two pre-graduate courses following the recommendation of a graduate academic advisor in the College of Merchandising, Hospitality and Tourism if enrolled in the 16-week program. (Note: More than two pre-graduate courses may be required in the conditional admission to the MS program)
Students can either enroll in an 8-week or 16-week program.
16 WEEK PROGRAM
This semester-long program starts in August and January. Students are in class at IELI 13 contact hours per week and enroll in one graduate class or up to 2 pre-graduate classes in Hospitality Management with other UNT students. They start earning credit courses in Hospitality Management and are awarded official transcripts.
Students enroll in the following courses:
- IELI Communication Level 6 (10 hours/week; the first half of the semester)
- IELI Writing Level 6 (10 hours/week; the second half of the semester)
- IELI Support for Hospitality &Tourism Majors (3 hours/week; 16 weeks)
- 1 or 2 Hospitality or Tourism pre-graduate courses or 1 Hospitality or Tourism graduate course. Students meet with a graduate academic advisor in the College of Merchandising, Hospitality, and Tourism to determine classes.
8 WEEK PROGRAM
Students are in class 23 contact hours per week.
- IELI Communication Level 6 (10 hours/week; 8 weeks)
- IELI Writing Level 6 (10 hours/week; 8 weeks)
- IELI Support for Hospitality &Tourism Majors (3 hours/week; 8 weeks)
The 8-week program starts in March, May, June, and October.
WHEN IS THE PROGRAM OFFERED?
The program is offered five times a year.
- The 16-week program has two start dates: August and January.
- The 8-week program has three start dates: March, June, and October.
WHEN IS FULL ADMISSION GRANTED?
Students who are conditionally admitted to an MS in Hospitality Management at UNT will be required to successfully complete Level 6 at IELI and submit a competitive score on the GRE to be fully admitted in a graduate program in Hospitality Management. Any remaining deficiency courses must be completed in the first semester of enrollment.
UNT’s Learning Center offers free GRE preparation workshops and study materials.
HOW TO APPLY:
|Apply to the Pre-Graduate Program||Visit the College of Hopsitality Management and Tourism Website|