Travel and U.S. Entry

We look forward to welcoming you to campus!

Travel Tips and U.S. Entry

Important Tips

  1. Carry your immigration documents with you. Do not pack documentation with checked luggage.
  2. Allow plenty of time at the airport and at the port of entry for security checks. These checks may be more thorough than before. There may be increased restrictions on the airplane, especially during the last hour of flight.

Application for U.S. Visa

  1. Applications for F or J visas must be made at U.S. consulates outside the U.S. It is not possible to apply for an F or J visa inside the U.S. It is best to apply for a visa in in your home country.
  2. Check the procedures at the consulate where you will apply
  3. Allow time for the process. There may be a wait for an interview. There may be a wait of several weeks for security clearance. Estimates for visa wait times can be found here
  4. Initial attendance F-1 visas can be issued up to 120 days prior to the reporting date listed on Form I-20, but a student can enter the U.S. no earlier than 30 days before I-20 program start date.
  5. If your visa is still valid, but you would like to apply for a new visa to extend the period, check with the consulate to see how long before the expiration they will accept an application.
  6. Some students may be subject to a SEVIS fee ($80-$200) in addition to the visa fees. Information and payment procedures here. Continuing students whose I-20s were issued before September 2004 are not required to pay the fee.

Continuing Students - Know Before You Go

  1. F-1 Students and F-2 Dependents: I-20 must be endorsed for travel on page 2 (page 3 for older versions). This endorsement is valid for entry for 1 year.  (See #6 if on OPT.)
  2. J-1 Students and Scholars, and J-2 Dependents: DS-2019 must be signed for travel in the lower right corner. This endorsement is valid for 1 year.
  3. Check passport expiration. Passport must be valid for 6 months in to the future upon entry to the U.S. Agreements between the U.S. and certain countries allow for less than 6 months. We recommend that you apply for an extension of passport before it expires.
  4. If you will be applying for a visa stamp, check the instructions for the consulate where you will apply
  5. Bring a transcript.
  6. If on OPT,  I-20 travel signature must be less than 6 months old; you must have an EAD card and you must have an employment letter or offer letter.  More information for students traveling while on OPT.

If you are traveling with a musical instrument, it is recommended that you complete CBP Form 4457 for each instrument. Have the form stamped at a U.S. Customs Office (located in most major airports) prior to departing the U.S. to document proof of ownership. CBP will confiscate musical instruments/accessories that contain banned substances/products (for example ivory or tortoise shell).

    Entry to the U.S.

    1. Present passport valid for at least 6 months, visa stamp, and I-20 or DS-2019. You may also want to carry your financial documents.
    2. Students, scholars, and dependents who are citizens of Canada do not need a visa stamp when entering the United States from Canada. F or J visa status, Canadians must present the I-20 or DS-2019 when entering.
    3. If you are a new F-1 student, with an "Initial Attendance" I-20, be sure the school listed on the visa matches the school listed on your passport.
    4. If you are a prior student and you have applied through International Student and Scholar Services for re-entry to the U.S., check in with our office in Marquis Hall 110 after you have re-entered the U.S.
    5. If on OPT, you must have your EAD card and employment or offer letter.
    6. Be a "good consumer."  Before you leave the CBP official, check to make sure you have your passport. If you are issued a paper I-94, make sure it has the proper notation - F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2. If it is not correct, have the officer make the correction there.  Make sure you have your I-20. If you will have an electronic I-94 record, be sure to visit as soon as possible after entry to ensure your information is correct. Make sure it has the correct visa status and D/S under the "Admit Until" date.
    7. OBIM (Formerly US-Visit): If you get a receipt after having your fingerprints and picture taken, keep the receipt.

    Exiting the U.S.

    1. In general, if you are traveling to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean islands for 30 days or less and have an expired F-1 visa, you will keep your I-94 card. See our detailed information here.
    2. If you are traveling elsewhere, you will hand in your I-94 card upon exit if you have a paper I-94.
    3. If you are traveling elsewhere and have an electronic I-94 record, CBP will record your departure using manifest information from the airline carrier. There is no document to turn in.