Request for Dependent I-20 via iNorthTX

F-2 Dependents

  • Children in the K-12 system may attend school.
  • Other F-2 dependents may not attend school, except for avocational or recreational classes.
    • UNT and IELI courses are not considered avocational or recreational.
  • F-2 dependents may not work.
  • When traveling outside the U.S., F-2 dependents need a travel endorsement from ISSS.

J-2 Dependents

  • May attend school full-time or part-time
    • School attendance is not required
  • May apply to USCIS for employment authorization
  • J-2 dependent children must change to their own visa status when reaching age 21.
  • J-2 dependents must obtain a travel endorsement on their DS-2019's to reenter the U.S. after traveling.
    • If the DS-2019 was issued by UNT, please consult ISSS
    • If the DS-2019 was issued by another agency, please consult your sponsor.
  • J-2 dependents are subject to 212(e), the 2 year home residency requirement if the J-1 is subject to the requirement.
    • If the J-1 obtains a waiver, it also applies to the dependents.
    • If the J-1 leaves the U.S. for a short period, for example 2-3 weeks, the J-2 can remain in the U.S.
    • If the J-1 ends his or her program, he/she is allowed to remain in the U.S. for 30 days, and then must leave. The J-2 must also leave.
    • If the J-1┬áis not subject to 212(e), the 2 year home residency requirement, it may be possible to change to a different visa status and remain in the U.S. for another purpose.