Employment Resources

Social Security for J-1 Visa Holders

If you will be financially compensated by UNT, you will need to apply for a social security number and social security card. The social security card is your tax identification number. You must pay taxes on all U.S. income earned while on a J visa.

Incidental Employment

Short-Term Occasional Lectures or Consultations

One-time or short-term events may be authorized prior to employment. Graduate assistantships are not considered short-term occasional lectures or consultation and cannot be accepted when in J-1 status.

To obtain authorization contact your J-1 Advisor.

Employment CANNOT start until approved.