Health insurance is required for J-1 and J-2 visas. 

This information pertains to J-1 Exchange Visitors in the categories of Professor, Research Scholar, Short-Term Scholar, and Student Intern. 

  • Coverage must span the entire length of your program.
  • Coverage documents must be in English.
  • Required coverage amounts must be listed in U.S. dollars.
  • J-2s must also be covered at all times, regardless of their location.

Minimum coverage amounts required by federal regulation:

  • Medical benefits must be at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains must be at least $25,000
  • Medical Evacuation (to home country) must be at least $50,000
  • Deductible must be $500 or less per accident or illness

Insurance options and required documentation:

  1. Employment at UNT in a benefits-eligible position: UNT Employee Health Insurance
    • Proof of enrollment
    • Proof of private insurance to cover duration of time before UNT Employee Health Insurance begins
    • Proof of supplementary insurance for Medical Evacuation and Repatriation of Remains is required throughout J1/J2 status
  2. Student with UNT Student Health Insurance
    • Proof of enrollment in UNT classes
  3. Private Insurance
  4. Insurance covered by home country government
    • Proof of enrollment meeting required minimum coverage amounts
  5. Affordable Care Act Insurance
    • Proof of enrollment meeting required minimum coverage amounts
    • Proof that plan is offered or underwritten by a federally-qualified Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or eligible Competitive Medical Plan as determined by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Important Note: Not all plans cover pre-existing conditions including maternity or pre-natal care. If you or your spouse are pregnant or may become pregnant during your stay in the U.S., please review your policy's exclusions.