Illegal or Unauthorized Employment

You must have permission to be employed.

Working without permission is illegal/unauthorized employment. We want you to be successful while at UNT so please be very careful when considering employment options in the United States. 

In some cases, permission is included with visa status. For example, F-1 students can work on their campus for up to 20 hours a week without applying for permission. Working above 20 hours per week while enrolled can result in severe immigration consequences - even if you are working for cash payments or "under the table." 

In other cases, you must apply for permission. All off-campus employment requires additional authorization such as Curricular Practical Training or Optional Practical Training.

Please follow all rules and guidelines included with your visa status/authorizations for employment. For example, working a few days after your OPT end date is considered working without authorization and will put you out of status.

If you do not have the appropriate authorizations/permissions, any work performed will violate your immigration status. This includes work that is paid for in cash or "off the record." Unauthorized employment can result in the need to exit and re-enter the U.S. on a new immigration record, make you ineligible for OPT or H1B status, and/or prevent you from obtaining U.S. permanent residency in the future. 

If you believe that you may have engaged in unauthorized employment, please contact ISSS immediately so we can assist you with correcting your status through re-entry to the United States. There is no way to correct your status for unauthorized employment inside the United States. 

Unauthorized employment puts you out of status. DO NOT WORK WITHOUT APPROVAL.