ALL EMPLOYMENT MUST BE APPROVED BY THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENT AND SCHOLAR SERVICES OFFICE BEFORE STARTING WORK
Looking for an on-campus job, visit the UNT Career Center
Rules for on-campus employment:
- Must engage in a full course of study, and must maintain good academic standing at UNT while employed. The employment authorization is automatically withdrawn if you terminate your studies at UNT.
- 20 hours per week while classes are in session
- Can be full-time during official school breaks (winter and summer only)
- If taking summer classes (required or not, on-line, or face-to-face) can only work 20 hours per week
- You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week over Spring Break
- Employment is approved until the date specified on the offer letter, the end of program, or for 1 year - whichever comes first (can be renewed)
- If employment ends (quit/terminated) sooner than date specified on the authorization letter, notify the J-1 Advisor
- You will need to apply for a Social Security number. If you do not have one, notify the J-1 Advisor
I’ve been offered an on-campus job. What do I do now?
- Obtain an Offer Letter from your prospective employer. It will need to have the following information:
- Job title
- Brief description of employment
- Start and end dates of employment
- Address of location of employment
- Number of hours to be worked per week
- Name, address, phone number, and e-mail of direct supervisor
- Complete and have your Academic Advisor sign the J-1 Student Employment Application form
- E-Mail the Offer Letter and the J-1 Student Employment Application form to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 5 days prior to employment start date
- Once the On-Campus Employment has been approved, you will receive a J-1 Student Employment Approval Letter. You CANNOT start working until you have received the approval from ISSS.