J-2 Dependents

  • May attend school full-time or part-time | Are not required to attend school
  • May apply to USCIS for employment authorization. 
    • The employment must not be for the basic support of the J-1 or J-2.
  • J-2 dependents must obtain a travel endorsement on the DS-2019 as required.
  • J-2 dependents are subject to the 2 year home residency requirement if the J-1 is subject.
    • If the J-1 obtains a waiver, the waiver applies to the dependents.
    • If the J-1 is not subject to this requirement, it may be possible to change to a different visa status and remain in the U.S. for another purpose.
  • If the J-1 leaves the U.S., the J-2 must travel with the J-1 exchange visitor.
  • If the J-1 ends his or her program, he/she is authorized a 30 day grace period. At the end of the grace period, both the J-1 and J-2 must leave the U.S.