Travel on OPT

The Student and Exchange Visitor Program office at the Department of Homeland Security has issued operating instructions for travel during OPT

Travel and re-entry after program completion, before EAD approval:

  • You may re-enter to continue seeking employment
  • Carry your I-765 receipt with you
  • Make sure your I-20 is endorsed for travel

Travel and re-entry while on OPT:

  • If your OPT has been approved and you depart before you get a job, your OPT ends and you cannot re-enter.
  • If you have a job, you may travel and re-enter to resume work at the same job.
    • Carry an employment letter with you
    • Carry your EAD card
    • Make sure your I-20 has been endorsed in the last 6 months

Need a new visa stamp?

  • While you are on OPT, you are still on an F-1 visa.
  • For this visa category, you must satisfy the consular official that you have sufficient intent to return to your home country. This may be a challenge when you have completed your degree, and are employed.