The Student and Exchange Visitor Program office at the Department of Homeland Security has issued operating instructions for travel during OPT.
Travel and re-entry after program completion, before EAD approval:
- You may re-enter to continue seeking employment
- Carry your I-765 receipt with you
- Make sure your I-20 is endorsed for travel
Travel and re-entry while on OPT:
- If your OPT has been approved and you depart before you get a job, your OPT ends and you cannot re-enter.
- If you have a job, you may travel and re-enter to resume work at the same job.
- Carry an employment letter with you
- Carry your EAD card
- Make sure your I-20 has been endorsed in the last 6 months
Need a new visa stamp?
- While you are on OPT, you are still on an F-1 visa.
- For this visa category, you must satisfy the consular official that you have sufficient intent to return to your home country. This may be a challenge when you have completed your degree, and are employed.