Academic English prepares international students for university. This program is ideal for students who want to study at the University of North Texas or at other universities in the United States.
Students attend 20-23 hours of class per week, Monday through Friday.
In addition to core and supplemental class time, students spend 15 to 20 hours per week on homework. Instructors provide office hours to help students outside of class.
- 6 Levels of English proficiency (1-6)
- Beginner* through advanced
- 5 terms offered each year
- 8-week terms: Fall I, Fall II, Spring I, Spring II, Summer
* New students must have some beginning English skills before attending classes at IELI. Students must be able to read and write simple sentences in English, understand and use basic vocabulary, and follow simple directions in order to start in Level 1.
All new students take a placement test to determine their proficiency in the English language. This two hour test will assess listening, reading, grammar and composition skills. Preparation is not required. The test is administered on the first day of orientation. Test results determine level placement. Students may be assigned additional work to meet the expectations of the level they auto-placed into based on test results. Test results are available within the week.
Communication & Writing Classes (20 hours/week)
|Communication||Writing||Supplemental (3 hours/week)|
Automatic placement at IELI: Your Ticket to UNT
International students who have taken TOEFL iBT or IELTS within the last 12 months may place directly into IELI levels 4, 5, or 6. Students must submit official scores to IELI for automatic placement. Test scores must be submitted at least one week prior to the start of Registration and Welcome Week. Submit your scores here.
|Students with these test scores||Will place into||And will need …|
|TOEFL iBT score||IELTS score||IELI Levels|
|50||5.5||4||3 terms (6 months) to complete IELI|
|55 composite with sub-scores ≥ 13||5.5 overall with all sub-scores ≥ 5.5||5||2 terms (4 months) to complete IELI|
|60 composite with sub-scores ≥ 15||6.0 overall with all sub-scores ≥ 6.0||6||1 term (2 months) to complete IELI|
- Students will meet with an advisor to determine eligible classes.
- Some classes require approval from the college/department.
English Proficiency Requirement at UNT
IELI graduates meet the English proficiency requirement for admission to University of North Texas. IELI graduates are not required to take an English proficiency exam for admission to UNT.
For more information about our Academic English Program, please contact us at email@example.com or +1 940-565-2003