Have you lost F-1 status due to one or more of the following?

  • Did not extend your F-1 student program before your I-20 expired
  • Did not notify immigration of degree level change before the deadline
    • Change must be requested at International Student and Scholar Services within 15 days
  • Did not maintain full-time academic registration
    • Did not document acceptable reason for less than full-time registration
  • Did not complete all procedures for approval of concurrent enrollment by the 12th class day
    • This includes proof of registration at the additional school
  • Worked in violation of F-1 status
    • Worked more than 20 hours per week while registered for study
    • Worked off-campus without authorization
    • Worked while registered for less than full-time status without authorization
    • Employment violations can only be corrected by travel. See an advisor
  • Transfer Students: Did not apply to International Student and Scholar Services to complete the transfer notification within 15 days of start of class.

Students who are out of status are not eligible for any f F-1 status benefits, including permission to work or eligibility for practical training.

How can I get back into valid F-1 status?

  • If you have lost status as a result of any of the reasons listed above EXCEPT by working in violation of F-1 status, you may apply for reinstatement.
  • You must apply within 5 months of the infraction.
  • When you are reinstated, you must be in a valid status situation.
    • Full-time student
    • If you lost status as a result of working in violation of F-1 status, please consult an international advisor.

How do I apply for reinstatement within the U.S. if I have not worked in violation of my F-1 status?

  • Reinstatement applications are complex. Schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor if you have any questions. 
  • Submit application form and all required documents to International Student and Scholar Services.
  • Sign I-20 after International Student and Scholar Services notification.
  • International Student and Scholar Services  will notify you when USCIS has responded.

What is the procedure for reinstatement?

  • Submit Materials to International Student and Scholar Services
  • Complete Reinstatement Request
  • Original I-20 copy
  • Financial documents (include 3 months of bank statements)
  • Copy of I-94 card
  • Transcripts
  • Completed I-539 form
  • Check or Money Order for $290 made payable to: Department of Homeland Security
  • Written statement which includes the following (if they are true):
    • The reason you are asking for reinstatement
    • That the violation of status resulted from circumstances beyond your control, or that failure to be reinstated would result in extreme hardship to you.
    • That you are currently pursuing, or intending to pursue, a full course of study at the University of North Texas.
    • That you have not engaged in unauthorized employment.
    • That you are not deportable on any ground other than overstaying or failure to maintain status

International Student and Scholar Services Procedure

  • We will issue an I-20 for reinstatement.
  • We will notify you to come to room 110 Marquis Hall to sign the new I-20.
  • We will mail the entire packet to immigration, certified mail, return receipt requested.
  • We will notify you when immigration responds.

How long does immigration take to adjudicate a reinstatement application?

We estimate 2-3 months.

May I register at UNT while immigration considers my application?


May I work while immigration considers my application?


May I work again after immigration approves my reinstatement?

  • You will be eligible to work on campus immediately reinstatement.
  • If you were a full-time student for 2 long semesters prior to losing status, you will be eligible to apply for practical training immediately after reinstatement.

What if my application for reinstatement is denied?

Please discuss your case with an International Advisor prior to applying for reinstatement

If your application is denied, you will need to travel outside the U.S.

Your visa stamp will most likely be cancelled, and you will have to apply for your visa stamp in your home country

If your application is denied, meet with an International Advisor immediately to make plans for an I-20 to use with travel and re-entry