Financial Requirements for International Students

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires non-immigrant international students (those on F or J visas) to verify that they will have funds available to pay for their education, living and other expenses.

Students on an F or J visa must complete and submit the International Student Sponsor Statement and Bank Certification. This form is required so that UNT may issue the I-20 or DS-2019.

Continuing students applying for a new I-20 must have documentation on file meeting the requirements. If financial documentation is not on file, students must submit new documentation.


International Student I-20/DS-2019 Financial Requirements

These costs are for a 9-month academic year (fall and spring) at non-resident tuition rates. The amounts listed are estimates only and do not include lab and other fees associated with particular courses. Various colleges may charge differential tuition which could significantly increase your actual costs when enrolling. Tuition and Fees may change without notice. For more information including a tuition calculator, visit Student Accounting and University Cashiering Services

Financial Support Documents

If your bank will not fill out the dedicated section of the International Student Sponsor Statement and Bank Certification form, please see the information below regarding acceptable financial support sources and documentation. Proof of funding may come from a variety of sources. Combined sources must cover all of your required fund amounts, and be submitted before your immigration document can be issued.

PLEASE NOTE: Our office reserves the right to reject any financial documentation submitted for the purposes of issuing an I-20.

Format for Financial Support Documents

  • Documents must be in English, or we must have the original language version plus a certified English translation stamped by the financial institution.
  • Documents must bear a signature, official seal, or be on letterhead from an official agency.
  • Documents must state account type and account balance- accounts must be accessible liquid funds.
  • Documents will only be accepted via the iNorthTX online portal.
  • Documents must be DATED no more than twelve (12) months prior to the start of your first semester. 
  • Statement must include the account holder’s name, date, account type, account balance and currency type.
  • If the statement is a web printout, it must include the web link/URL.

Funding Sources and Financial Documents

Personal or Family Funding
  • Checking or Savings Account Statements
  • Term/Fixed/Time Deposits (statement must specify a maturity date in the past)
  • Certificate of Deposit (CD), mutual, stock, or bond funds (total amount available for withdrawal after penalty)
  • Credit cards, life insurance, crypto-currencies, retirement and/or pension funds are NOT accepted
UNT Financial Award

Submit the official award letter on departmental letterhead. Department Verification of Graduate Student Award Letter Template

Letter must include:

  • Name
  • Date of issue
  • Costs to be covered and/or the amount of funding awarded
  • Terms covered
  • In-state or out-of-state tuition
Government, University or other Official Agency Funding

Submit the official letter of sponsorship made out to UNT.

Letter must include:

  • Date of issue
  • Dates/terms funding is provided
  • If dependents will be covered
  • Major student is permitted to study
  • Costs covered or the amount of funding awarded
Sponsor Employment Income Verification

Submit official letter from sponsor's employer on company letterhead or current tax statement showing annual earnings of at least 3 times the required amount.

Family or Privately-Owned Company Funding

Submit (2) official letters. One on company letterhead. One on Bank Letterhead. Letters must include

  • Student’s name
  • Name of responsible party (company owner or president)
  • Responsible party (company owner or president) and Bank representative must sign and date the respective letters.

Complete and submit the International Student Sponsor Statement and Bank Certification form

If a U.S. resident is providing room and meals to you during your studies:

The U.S. provider will need to fill out this form and provide the supplemental documentation as listed. You must upload these documents as a single PDF to your iNorthTX portal. If submitting a lease, the lease must be valid for at least one semester after the program start date. An expiring lease will not be accepted. This documentation will cover the costs of the “Living expenses” in the estimated costs of attendance, so this cost may be subtracted from the total amount which must be shown.

International Student Fee

Students attending UNT on a non-immigrant visa or students with an application for permanent residency pending with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services are charged an International Student Fee each semester as part of UNT tuition and fees.

International Student Health Insurance

UNT requires all students on a non-immigrant visa to have health insurance coverage. Consequently, all international students are automatically billed for UNT health insurance each semester. Brochures outlining coverage can be obtained online at

There are limited instances when a student may receive a waiver from the UNT health insurance plan. This is determined by the UNT Student Health and Wellness Center.

Explore Scholarships & Financial Aid at UNT.