- Valid F-1 status
- Apply in time to have procedure completed before I-20 expires (at least 2 weeks ahead of expiration.)
- Delay due to academic reasons – must provide documentation. Poor performance is not acceptable.
- Delay due to medical reasons – must provide documentation.
- I-20 has expired, or will expire before procedure can be completed
- Otherwise out of status
- Delay due to poor academic progress
- Delay due to suspension
- Delay due to academic probation
Any student who does not meet the eligibility requirements must either file for reinstatement, or travel outside the U.S. and re-enter with a new I-20 marked initial attendance.
Procedure for Extension of I-20
Submit the following to International Student and Scholar Services:
- Academic Advisor Certification for I-20 Extension, signed by your academic advisor
- Proof of funding required:
- Complete the I-20 Program Extension Application via iNorthTX
NOTE: SEVIS will allow a maximum one year extension.
Once complete, ISSS will email the student to request a signature.