Optional Practical Training



Authorization for Employment in the U.S.

  • Issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for temporary work directly related to your major area of study
  • May be used before or after completion of studies
  • You are eligible to receive a total of 12-months of OPT for each higher degree
  • If you have been enrolled as a full-time student for at least one academic year and are in lawful F-1 status, you may be eligible to apply for OPT
  • F-1 students are eligible to apply for up to one year of OPT per education level
  • Once approved, you must report all changes in employment within 10 days by submitting the Post OPT e-form via iNorthTX

To apply for Post-Completion OPT


Your OPT application is your responsibility as an F1 visa holder. ISSS staff will provide information regarding OPT and the application process, however, the contents of your application must be reviewed and approved by you, the student. By sending in your signed OPT application to USCIS, you are verifying that all information is correct and accurate. ISSS is not responsible for any missing or incorrect information found in your application.