Campus Employment

To work on campus, students must:

  • Hold valid F-1 status 
  • Enroll in a full course of study at UNT in the fall and spring terms (12 credits for undergraduates, 9 credits for graduate students, 3 credits for dissertators.)
  • Complete the Foreign National Information Form with the UNTSystem Tax Office.


  • Employment must be on campus. This includes work in the UNT student union, libraries, recreational centers, and in academic and administrative departments.
  • During the fall and spring terms, you may work up to 20 hours per week.  There is no exception to the 20 hour-per-week rule, even if the employment is a teaching or research assistantship.
  • Scheduled Vacation Periods (summer, semester break): Students who have maintained full-time status before the vacation, intend to register for the following semester, and who are not enrolled during the vacation period may work on campus full-time.


No special permission from International Student and Scholar Services is required to work on-campus if you are in valid F-1 status. 

No special permission from immigration is required to work on campus if you are in valid F-1 status.

You must provide your employer documents to establish identification and employment eligibility, as listed on the I-9 form all new employees must complete.

F-1 students cannot work off campus without immigration permission.

If you are a J-1 international student, please see more information about on-campus work here: 

Please note: international students are not eligible for work-study programs. 

Search current job openings at UNT