Student Responsibilities

Student must hold valid F-1 status.

Student must enroll full-time at UNT in the fall and spring terms.

  • 12 credits for undergraduates
  • 9 credits for graduate students
  • 3 credits for dissertators

Student must complete the Foreign National Form. This form lets your employer know that you are an international student and whether or not your country has a tax treaty with the U.S. 

Student must apply for a Social Security Number

Employment Guidelines

Employment must be on-campus. This includes work in:

  • The UNT Student Union
  • Dining services
  • UNT libraries
  • Pohl Recreational Center
  • Academic and Administrative departments
  • All other UNT units, departments or programs where UNT is the employer.

During the fall and spring terms, student may work up to 20 hours per week. 

  • There is no exception to the 20 hour-per-week rule, even if the employment is a teaching or research assistantship.
  • During scheduled vacation periods (summer, semester break,) student may work up to 40 hours/week if not enrolled in classes.

Student must maintain full-time status before the vacation and must intend to register for the following semester to work on campus full-time during summer break when not enrolled.

  • You may not not work full-time during summer break if enrolled in classes.
Employment Authorization

You do not need authorization to work on-campus.

No special permission from International Student and Scholar Services is required to work on-campus. 

No special permission from immigration is required to work on-campus.

You must provide your employer documents to establish identification and employment eligibility (I-9 verification.)

DO NOT work off campus without permission.

Search for On-Campus Jobs

UNT students may apply for on-campus hourly positions on Handshake. Be sure to set up a profile to apply to available opportunities. Please note: International students are not eligible for FAFSA work-study programs. 

TA/RA/GA positions are generally NOT listed on Handshake. If you are a graduate student interested in one of these positions, please inquire about position availability in your department.