In order to apply for a social security number (SSN), F-1 students must provide proof of employment to the Social Security Administration.

F-1 students must show authorization to work if granted On-Campus Employment, Curricular Practical Training, Optional Practical Training, or Economic Hardship.

Once you meet these requirements, print and complete the application for a Social Security Card and apply in person at your nearest Social Security Administration office. 

If your first U.S. job is on-campus, you will need to show proof of employment. 

Secure an authorized student employment position.

Obtain an employment letter from the hiring department.

    • On Campus Hourly Employment: Your employer or your immediate supervisor must download, complete, print and sign the offer letter template from the UNT Career Center. Electronic signatures are not accepted. Letters must be printed on department letterhead.
    • On Campus Non-Hourly Employment or Employment by Barnes and Noble: Employer must complete the employer verification letter. Letter can be found on under Employment on the Forms page. Letter must be printed on the employer's letterhead. Employer must sign letter. Signature stamps will not be accepted.

Complete the Social Security Number Letter Request via iNorthTX to obtain a Work Authorization Letter and Signature from International Student and Scholar Services.

Apply for a Social Security Number.

    • Take the original letter(s) to the Social Security Administration office, along with your passport, visa, I-94 card, and I-20.