All J-1 student employment MUST be approved by International Student & Scholar Services BEFORE work begins. 

Academic Training allows J-1 students to accept employment opportunities that are an integral part of their academic programs.

What is Academic Training

Academic Training may include, but is not limited to:

  • Internships
  • Practicums
  • Cooperative education
  1. Your primary purpose in the United States must be to study.
  2. You must be in good academic standing at the school named on your current DS-2019.
  3. Academic Training must be directly related to your major field of study as listed on your current DS-2019.
  4. Academic Training may be authorized during your program of study.
  5. Academic Training may also be authorized after you complete your program of study. In this case, the Academic Training must be authorized prior to the date on which you complete your program of study and before your DS-2019 expires.
  6. Throughout your Academic Training you must maintain permission to stay in the United States in J-1 student status, so you must apply for extensions of your academic training as necessary and appropriate.
  7. If applying for Post Academic Training, you must show proof of financing and maintain health insurance coverage as detailed by the U.S. Department of State on page 2 of your DS- 2019.
Duration of Academic Training

If your program was: 

You are eligible for: 

One semester or less

Maximum of 4 months

One full academic year

Maximum of 9 months

Undergraduate Degree
Master's Degree
Professional Degree (not a Ph.D.) 

Maximum of 18 months, or the period of full course of the study in the U.S., whichever is less

Doctoral Degree

Maximum of 36 months, or the period of full course of study in the U.S., whichever is less. 

How to Start the Process
  1. Contact ISSS and your host (Global Engagement Office Advisor, Sponsored Student Advisor or Study Abroad Advisor).
  2. Once your host has verified you are eligible to apply, contact the J-1 Advisor at to schedule a meeting to go over all the requirements and to receive the necessary forms.
  3. Bring or E-Mail all completed forms and Job Offer Letter from your employer to ISSS/J Advisor.
  4. If applying for Post Academic Training, proof of Financing and Health Insurance are needed.
  5. Once approved, you will receive an Academic Employment Authorization Letter. You CANNOT start working until you have received approval from ISSS.