J-1 student employment must be approved by International Student and Scholar Services before work begins. 

Rules for J-1 on-campus employment
  • Student must enroll in a full course of study and must maintain good academic standing while employed.
    • The employment authorization is automatically withdrawn if you terminate your studies at UNT.
  • Student may work up 20 hours per week while classes are in session
  • Student may work full-time during official school breaks (winter and summer only) when not enrolled in classes
  • If taking summer classes (required or not, on-line, or face-to-face) student can only work 20 hours per week
  • Student can work a maximum of 20 hours per week over Spring Break
  • Employment is approved until the date specified on the offer letter, the end of program, or for 1 year -  whichever comes first 
  • If employment ends (quit/terminated) sooner than date specified on the authorization letter, notify the J-1 Advisor
  • You will need to apply for a Social Security number. If you do not have one, notify the J-1 Advisor
I've been offered an on-campus job. What do I do now?
  1. Obtain an Offer Letter from your prospective employer with the following information:
    • Job title
    • Brief description of employment
    • Start and end dates of employment
    • Address of location of employment
    • Number of hours to be worked per week
    • Name, address, phone number, and e-mail of direct supervisor
  2. Complete and have your Academic Advisor sign the J-1 Student Employment Application form
  3. E-Mail the Offer Letter and the J-1 Student Employment Application form to jinfo@unt.edu at least 5 days prior to employment start date
  4. Once the On-Campus Employment has been approved, you will receive a J-1 Student Employment Approval Letter. 
  5. You CANNOT start working until you have received the approval from ISSS.