During your last semester at UNT, you will need to apply for graduation.

This process is separate from your immigration requirements.

Your graduation day may be different than the program end date listed on your I-20.  

What is my program end date?

Your Program End Date is the date listed on page 1 of your I-20. This is your last day of required enrollment at UNT and also the day that your 60 day grace period starts.  You will need to take action on your immigration record to transfer, start a new degree level, apply for OPT, or leave the U.S. within this 60 day grace period.  Please note:  Your on-campus work authorization ends on your program end date/last date of enrollment!

What happens if I finish my degree before my program end date?

If you will complete your degree before the program end date originally listed on your I-20, your program end date will be updated to show your actual last date of enrollment.  The updated end date on your I-20 will be the start of your 60 day grace period.  Remember, during your 60 day grace period, you will need to take action on your immigration record to transfer, start a new degree level, apply for OPT, or leave the U.S.

What happens if I need more time to complete my degree?
If you will not complete your classes by the date listed on your I-20, you will need to complete the I-20 Program Extension Application via iNorthTX.  You must complete the Academic Advising Certification for I-20 Certification to upload in iNorthTX if you are requesting and I-20 program extension. This e-form must be submitted by you and approved by ISSS BEFORE the end date on your I-20. Please submit this request at least two weeks prior to your I-20 program end date.heading is empty, the panel does not output.
What are my grace period options?
Your 60 day grace period starts on your I-20 program end date.  You now have 60 days from that date to do one of the following: 
  1. Apply for OPT
  2. Be admitted to a new degree program at UNT and receive a new I-20 for the next semester
  3. Get admitted to a new school and have your SEVIS record transferred to the new school for the next semester. Please speak with an immigration advisor for questions about the timing of your I-20 transfer.   
How do I apply for graduation?

Applying for graduation from UNT is a separate process from your immigration requirements. 

During your last semester at UNT, you must apply for degree conferral (graduation).  This process allows you to receive your UNT degree and participate in the graduation/commencement ceremony. 

Please make sure to check the website for important deadlines! If you do not apply for graduation, you may not be able to participate in the ceremony.

How do I invite my family to come to my graduation?