Submit a Transfer Clearance Form (or similar) from your new school to International Student and Scholar Services

  • If you are applying to several schools, submit a transfer form for each school.
  • The transfer form does not require that you attend a school nor does it transfer your SEVIS electronic file.

Once you have determined which school you will attend, complete the Ending Studies at UNT form. 

  • IELI students must visit the IELI Main Office to complete the required paperwork.
  • ISSS will transfer the SEVIS electronic file to the new school at the end of the academic term.

The new school will issue a new I-20 upon receipt of the SEVIS file.  

  • The I-20 must be issued within 60 days of completing studies at UNT, and you must be enrolled at the new school within 5 months.
  • If traveling outside the U.S. after your studies are completed at UNT, you MUST use the I-20 from the new school to re-enter the U.S.
    • Once you re-enter you must attend the new school.
    • If there are time constraints, please contact the new school to discuss method of getting the new I-20 to you.

The first time you enter the U.S. as an F-1 student, the school listed on the visa stamp must match the school on the I-20.

When you transfer schools, as long as the visa is valid, the school on the visa stamp does not need to match the school on the transfer I-20.

If you are a J-1 student, please consult an International Advisor at